Friday, March 13, 2015

The Thing In The Basement


I've lived in this house for a long time and have always loved it here. There is no place in this house I haven't explored. Every nook, cranny, recess, hidden passage, you name it, I've been there. This house is ancient-over a hundred years old-and has a distinct vintage quality about it not unlike well aged wine.

The place is, for the most part, quiet. This is actually something I relish about it. It gives me a sense of freedom to do whatever I like, without interruption and distraction.

My favorite part of the house-the basement. It's the quietest and, inadvertently, the most peaceful part of the house since hardly anyone goes down there. I often hang out here in the cool comfort of the basement, just for the calm and serenity; it inspires me, especially when I am constantly seeking creative ideas for the type of work I do.

So I absolutely hate it every time someone moves in. Especially if it's a family with noisy children and dogs. I hate being disturbed. That's when those creative ideas come into play; and I emerge from the dark, shadowy basement...


* * *
I liked it so much better when it was just me and the old caretaker back then.




[Disclaimer: Image not mine.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any constructive comments/feedback/suggestions offered in a courteous, tactful and encouraging manner are always appreciated. Please refrain from using profanity. Comments with profanity found in them will not be tolerated.